There are many symptoms to look for when someone is suffering from hearing loss. These symptoms include saying "what" or "huh", increased difficulty from distances, trouble hearing on the telephone, and trouble hearing in noisy environments, groups, or crowds.
A few common statements from someone suffering from hearing loss would include:
- "I can hear but not understand."
- "If people wouldn't mumble I could hear them."
- "That person speaks very monotone."
- "If you look at me and speak to me I can hear you."
- "My hearing is fine, young people just don't know how to talk anymore."